When launching the apps, you will experience the following, regardless of which format you use.
PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU ARE ON THE LATEST NHD VERSION TO ACCESS THE APPS.
Important things to bear in mind:
- If you are using your Web Portal for internal purposes only (supporting End-users internal to your company), then you can use the Web Portal and the apps internally only. Your smartphones will need to be connected to the wireless access of your Local Area Network (LAN).
- If you wish to use the Web Portal externally from your LAN, for example, when out on the road, you will need to make the Web Portal accessible externally from your network. This will involve opening up the port of your website in IIS to the outside world.
- Once this is achieved, you will be able to access the apps using your 3G/4G connection when outside of your LAN, as well as the wireless when in the office.
- If you wish your end users to type a nicer user-friendly URL, instead of an IP address in their web browser, then you can purchase these yourselves from any provider. All you need to do afterwards is change the DNS record on their dashboards to point to the IP address and port of the web portal, and this will update. Our web portal is no different to any other website.
- To test whether the smartphone app will connect to your database, go to the browser on your phone, and connect to the web portal. If the login screen comes up, and the initial setup configuration for the smartphone apps detailed in this guide is completed, then you should be able to login without issues.
- To do so, please go to the iTunes Apps Store (iPhone) or Google Play (Android) for the latest app download.
To log into the app:
1. In the main Application Setup screen, specify your NetHelpDesk Username. This is not necessarily your Windows Username, and if you use Windows Authentication to access NetHelpDesk, it won’t be this, unless you specifically specify the username and password manually in NetHelpDesk.
2. To find your NHD Username, open up the main Windows application, and go to N > Setup > Main Configuration > Agents > Edit > Generalto see this:
1. Make sure to include http:// or https://, as necessary in the URL specification.
2. If you have used a port other than :80 in IIS, you will need to specify the port number at the end of the URL.
3. Once you log in, you will start seeing the information download from the database of the Windows application, to your local database stored on your smartphone.
If you do not see this countdown begin, and the screen “hangs” on downloading Assets, then either:
1. The web portal is not configured to allow the apps to work yet. Please see this guide.
2. Or, the URL specified is not correct. Make sure to use the End-user URL, not Agent.
3. Or, the apps are being run on a network that the portal has not been given access to.
Should you have any questions regarding any steps in this guide, please speak with the NetHelpDesk Support Team.
NetHelpDesk is available on a range of devices with industry-leading functionality available throughout.