NetHelpDesk can import assets, and update existing assets from an SCCM database using the SQL import feature. This integration is available from version 10.10 of NetHelpDesk onwards.
The SCCM sync works by connecting to SCCM’s sql database, running a SQL query and importing the dataset into NetHelpDesk. In order to do this a UDL file will need to be set up to connect to the SCCM database.
NetHelpDesk uses a UDL file to connect to the NetHelpDesk SQL database. So to easily set one up to connect to the SCCM database, you can copy the existing UDL file and modify this. This is normally located on the NetHelpDesk server in the NetHelpDesk folder. Copy a UDL file and paste it into the same directory, giving it a name of your choice, then double click on the new file to modify the SQL connection.
As shown in the screenshot:
1. You will need to be set to either the machine name or ip address of the server which hosts the SCCM database, along with the instance name and port number...
2. ... will need to be set to the login credentials used to connect to the SQL server.
3. Select the SCCM database from the drop down. Select Test Connection to test the connection to the database. If successful, NetHelpDesk will now be able to connect to the database using this udl file.
Now we need to enter this udl path in the SCCM SQL import profile in NetHelpDesk. To do this:
1. In the main Windows client, go to N > Setup > Main Configuration > Asset Management from the menu.
2. At the bottom of this screen, there is a section for Third Party Integrations. From the dropdown select SCCM. (It is also available in N > Setup > Main Configuration > Integrations).
This will reveal the “Setup SSCM SQL Import” and “Import Now” functions. To setup the profile,:
1. Select the Setup button. This will present the settings for the SQL Import Profile.
2. The profile will already have a default SQL Query, and field mappings used to obtain the asset data from SCCM.
3. Set the UDL file path to the UNC file path of your SCCM UDL file which was created earlier, and enable the profile.
Once configured, the import can be run from the Profile setup screen, or the Asset Management configuration screen, by selecting “Save and run Import” or “Import now” respectively. An import screen will then display and begin the import automatically and progress and any issues will be logged.
A scheduled task can be set up on the NetHelpDesk server to run the sync on a schedule, ie. once a day. To do this:
1. Go to Administrative Tools > Task Scheduler on your server/machine, and create a new task with an action to run nethdclient.exe.
2. The first argument after nethdclient.exe should be the path to the udl file that connects to the NetHelpDesk database, usually called NetHelpDesk.udl.
3. The second argument should be the word SQLIMPORTS. (For example “C:\NetHelpDesk\NetHelpDesk.udl SQLIMPORTS”
4. When the task runs, it will run the NetHelpDesk client, do the SCCM import, and then shut down.
As the SCCM integration uses a SQL import profile, this can be customised to match based on different fields, add or remove field mappings or write a new SQL Query to import different assets entirely. This will require knowledge of the SCCM SQL database. This can be controlled from the SCCM SQL import profile screen.
Contact our team to discuss what you are trying to achieve, and we can help guide you.
NetHelpDesk is available on a range of devices with industry-leading functionality available throughout.